As we become moms, our own birthdays can feel less and less special. We are so busy celebrating (and taking care of) the little people in our life as they grow. It’s also hard to keep blowing out the birthday candles and realize: we are becoming more and more like our own mothers! For me personally, I have also become less daring as I’ve gotten older.
The great thing about birthdays, though, is that they are a chance for reflection and self-care. When else do you get such a solid excuse to do whatever you want, eat whatever you want, and spend time with the people you want to spend time with?! This year I turned 29. I know, I know, I’m still young! Approaching another decade, though, has me thinking about where I am in my life, and where I want to be as I grow older.
Growing is More Than Just a Number
I may not be growing any taller, but each year of life, I know that I can still grow as a person. So this year, I created a bucket list of 30 things I want to do before I turn 30 next year. The goal of this bucket list isn’t just to do random, fun things. The purpose is to challenge myself to get out of my comfort zone. I also created this list to help me focus on myself as a woman, not just on my actual birthday, but all year long. More than just for me, though, I wanted to challenge the friends and people I love in my life to join me in the challenge. Because, things are always better together!
The Daring Moms Club
Here is where the Daring Moms Club is born. This isn’t an actual club, but more of an idea, or an invitation. You are welcome to join us, and start your own branch of the club. The rules are simple: this year, create a list of a few things that will challenge you, grow you, or that you have always wanted to try but never had the chance.
Make sure your list is doable and you can accomplish it in the time frame you set. I mean, I would love to do a tour of Europe for my bucket list, but I know that just isn’t realistic this year. Or even this decade most likely. A lot of these are things I can do in my own time, or will get me out and exploring the city of Cincinnati with my family, partner, and even sometimes just by myself.
The Bucket List
This is what my own list looks like this year: 30 Things Before I Turn 30. I had input from friends, several of whom are going to be joining me in completing many of these challenges this year. You can use my list for inspiration, try it all with me this year, or create your own, totally unique list! Also, it doesn’t have to be done in order, just done before I turn 30. To help me reach that goal, I am trying to schedule one of these things to do each week, with plenty of wiggle room.
Complete the high ropes challenge course at Main Event.I completed this one on my birthday, with a group of friends, to kick off my year of daring!
- Read the “Harry Potter” series for the first time.
- Hike Red River Gorge.
- Write an e-book.
- Take my baby to the ocean for the first time.
- Read “Eat Pray Love.”
- Watch “Life is Beautiful.”
- Take a picnic and hike John Bryan State Park.
- Take a ghost tour of Cincinnati.
- Read “Dandelion Wine.”
- Eat steak at The Precinct.
- Take a tour of Carew Tower.
- Eat truffle fries at Morton’s.
- Eat donuts at Stan the Donut Man.
- Drink a margarita at Taqueria Mercado in Fairfield.
- Read “The Road” by Cormac McCarthy.
- Renovate my master bathroom.
- Eat fried chicken at The Eagle in OTR.
- See the new Star Wars in IMAX when it is released.
- Make my own sangria.
- Lose the baby weight finally (two years postpartum…).
- Go to a Bengals game.
- Take a ghost tour of my town, Lebanon.
- Read “E Myth.”
- Eat poutine at Senate in OTR.
- Read “Switch.”
- Go canoeing on the Little Miami River.
- Do a zip line tour.
- Visit the Indianapolis Children’s Museum.
- Do the Perimeter Trail around Caesar Creek Lake (12 miles).
What about you? What would be on your bucket list? Will you be joining me in the challenge this year to do some things just for you, to grow and enjoy?