I watched you today, sweet first born, and I have decided. I want to be like you when I grow up. You have so many amazing qualities about you that I envy. There are pieces to your personality I wish I could channel into my own. I admire you and you inspire me to want to be a better person.
- You don’t hide your excitement and love for life. Every day is a gift to you. You love trying new things and meeting new people. You love seeing old friends and making new memories. You live in the moment. I need to live in the moment a little more. You inspire me to be more present. It’s hard for me, but I am trying.
- You love people. I am at a loss to understand your extroverted personality, as my introverted one cringes and struggles to allow you to be who you are. I wish I was a little more like you – a little more relaxed when engaging new people and more inclined to enjoy social situations. I admire this part of your personality.
- You are self-assured. Today I watched you play with your friend. This friend did not want to do the same things you wanted to do, but you did them anyway. You invited her in, but didn’t let her desire to sit on the sidelines keep you there.
- You are inclusive. You are willing to welcome in everyone as a friend. As long as they are kind to you, you will open your arms to them. You want to be included and so you include others. I can’t help but think that if more people would take the risk to live this way, (myself included), the world would be an epically better place.
- You are genuine. Your emotions are authentic and you never pretend to be who you are not. So few people live this way into adulthood. You do it effortlessly.
- You see the beauty in new experiences. I often struggle with change or when things don’t go as I planned. You go with the flow and enjoy the moment. This is a gift you have.
- You choose joy. This is the part I hope beyond hope I do not ruin for you. I struggle with this one BIG TIME. Please don’t learn from me. Instead, let me learn from you.
- You forgive. I am a flawed mother. There are so many things I know I should have done or should do better as your mother. You love me anyway. You don’t hold grudges and instead choose to see the things I do well and the love I have for you. A love that is intense.
So, you see, sweet child… even though I have been blessed to be your mom, one of the key people who is supposed to guide you in life, it is you who are teaching me.